Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pytash: Jago Ch. 6

This was another great chapter, surprising. I am pretty sure I will be referring back to this chapter a lot when teaching, especially when teaching the Odyssey. When reading I found it very interesting that Jago believes, "teachers are the best teachers for teachers" because I have often thought of this while in classes both in high school and in college. In fact there are many times that I have found myself jotting down a technique or style of teaching, test giving, group activity, etc. that a professor uses. For example, those of you who had Professor Was for Ed. Psych. have had a very unique experience with test taking. He gives a test in 3 levels and in each level you are allowed to reduce the value on a certain number of questions. This method allows students to not focus on one or two questions they don't have a clue how to answer, and makes those questions worth less so that students don't stress. This is a method of testing I hope to use in my classroom. This is only one of many examples I have written down, and I plan to use most of them. My teachers, even ones who weren't teaching me how to teach implicitly, have taught me how to teach.
Another part of this chapter that really touched me was the section where Jago gives examples of student work. I can't say I would have ever thought it possible for a young reader to mimic the ways in which an author writes to the degree that Etha did. Her paper was truly amazing and shows me that what Jago is doing must work on some level to help produce this quality of work. It is inspiring to have a student succeed on an assignment in a way you didn't know possible. I wonder how useful this student's creativeness and knowledge could be to her classmates.
All in all this text book is a keeper and has taught me many things as I have read more intensely with each chapter. It has made me even more excited to teach.

1 comment:

  1. The way your prof let you take the levels of tests and reduce the value of certain questions sounds really beneficial to those who stress out about tests!

    ReplyDelete