Friday, April 15, 2011

FOOT: Wild Target/Harry Potter

I rented Wild Target this weekend, a movie in which one of my favorite Harry Potter actors stars, Rupert Grint. This movie was a wonderful British comedy with a little action thrown in. I was very skeptical about Grint being in it seeing as he will always be Ron Weasley to me, but he played his character very well. After watching this movie it got me thinking about how this could be a lesson for the classroom on character likeness and behaviors. Because I was so used to Ron Weasleys characteristics and personality, this movie took some work for me to like and understand without comparing the two characters Grint plays. It is kind of the same in novels when we ask our students to interpret character actions in different scenarios. Because I expected Grint to be the sidekick, which he ended up being, I was able to accept his role in Wild Target as that. However because I am not used to seeing him in a overly serious or skillful role it was very hard for me to grip onto him being an apprentice assassin. When/If I were to write a paper on his actions in a specific situation, I can honestly say assassin would be furthest from my mind. It was a very interesting and enlightening thought for me and one I plan on utilizing in my classroom.

Side Note: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 came out today! I am very excited to get my copy and hope others are enjoying it too. (Even if it is only as a soundtrack to homework and studying.) And I totally suggest Wild Target if you haven't seen it!

2 comments:

  1. I just got Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on BluRay for Easter :) I am super-excited to re-watch it, with the exception of Nagini, because she scares the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with you on how it is hard to see some people as other characters. I saw Driving Lessons, also with Rupert Grint, and it was very hard for me to see him as the new character instead of Ron. Yet, at the same time, I feel that this could be a way to explain to student's different types of texts. I think that if you were to say "So you know you like this actor, you might want to check out this movie that they are also in" it is comparable to "So you seemed to like this genera of book (i.e. Twilight/vampire books) you might want to check out this other book that is kind of similar to it (i.e. Beautiful Creatures).

    ReplyDelete