Sunday, April 24, 2011

FOOT: Reflection

            This semester I started out very excited and worried about this class. I was very excited to use new technology and learn ways to incorporate it into the classroom, but was worried it may become very cumbersome and may not be very educational. I have since changed my mind. Technology is not only fun but can be easily incorporated into the classroom. I really like the film review project because it made you think about films instead of passively watch them. Also I really enjoyed finding all of the new sites to use for running the classroom such as Nings. I must say however I don't think I will be using Webquests anytime soon. I really liked how they helped introduce searching for information on the web but did not like how old they felt to me. It really almost felt like going to the library for hours looking for one book. Not to mention the lack of control you have as a teacher over when the students get done, so some could be done quickly and be just sitting there doing nothing, and what they are really doing. No matter what you do to prevent students from finding things online and using the things they find, students will always find a way around your blocks. Just like in Little Brother where there was a completely separate network the students used to do things in class they weren't supposed to.
           And speaking of Little Brother, I really got to thinking throughout the semester about how to tie in Young Adult literature and technology, and what do you know that's easy too!!! I think this is a great way to tie fun and education into a tiny package and give as a gift to students. Like candy flavored medicine. I really think something like Pytash's project, canonical text paired with the young adult, works well for this very reason. Tie in some technology and walla we have fun education.
           I think the biggest thing I have learned so far, something I plan on taking to all of my teaching experiences, is with a little time and effort on the teachers part the students can learn. And when students learn teachers win. I honestly don't know why there are so many teachers out there still teaching the same way and still with a job. I really think the new technologies and literature can be combined and taught well, just put in the work. We are here because most of us naturally care, it's not for the money.

3 comments:

  1. I liked your point about the fact that students will be able to find a way around blocks on the internet. For that reason, I think it's important for teachers to be aware of this and plan accordingly. I also agree that there are many great ways to incorporate technology into the classroom and still make sure that students learn at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with everything you said in the final paragraph. I am not going to need to incorporate technology into every lesson, but I would love to use it to aid the value of many of my lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really learned a lot from the shot by shot analysis. Although watching the scene over and over again was annoying, it made me realize how difficult and how much work film editors and directors put into making movies. There are so many things you miss when you just watch a movie leisurely. The mood can be affected by so many things. Close-ups, lengths of each shot, and lighting are a few of the things that really affect how you view the scene.

    I also believe that teachers need to be ready and willing to incorporate technology into their classrooms. If they aren't ready to meet this new era head on, they should retire and open a teaching position for some of us. lol Some of the things I learned this semester will definitely affect the way I approach my classroom.

    ReplyDelete